- Review of system designs with a wireless component.
- Telecom numbering and identifier resource management issues.
- International roaming issues.
- Government telecommunications mandates including Emergency Services (9-1-1), Surveillance, Number Portability and Priority Calling.
- Preparation of documents with legal/technical overlap.
- Preparation of white papers for a general or specialist audience.
- Editing of technical documents that require a particularly high level of clarity and technical accuracy.
- Acting as a representative on a wireless standards or other specification development committees.
- Educator or presenter on complex technical issues.
- Wireless mobility standards and protocols (including ANSI-41 and GSM MAP)
- Consulting and testifying expert witness in US, Canadian and Australian courts
- Member of the organizing committee for the 2019 FEWA national conference
- Engaged by a Canadian municipality as an expert consultant (2019)
- Engaged by a major tech company in a patent lawsuit as an expert witness
- Engaged as testifying expert by K+L Gates/Voxson (2017-2018) in a patent dispute. Submitted reports and testified in court for four days. Trial discontinued after parties reached a settlement in March, 2018.
- Engaged as a consultant for US Department of Justice (2018)
- Consultant, Cowlitz County Sheriffs Office (2017)
- Provided expert report to Jennifer Hue, criminal defense lawyer (2017-18).
- Provided expert report to Margaret Osadet, criminal defense lawyer (2017-18) in a murder trial.
- Professional (verified) member of the Forensic Expert Witness Association (2016-present)
- Consultant to Jennifer Thomas Law Office (2016).
- Consultant to Susan von Achten, criminal defence lawyer (2016, 2017)
- Consultant for Cahn Litigation (2015).
- Patent consultant engaged by Baker Botts (2014).
- Patent consulting, TAEUS (2013).
- Patent consultant engaged by Baker Botts (2012).
- Recognized as a technical expert in District Court in Chicago in a Motorola/Huawei lawsuit. Engaged by Covington Burling on behalf of Huawei (2011). Submitted a report to the court, and testified. Huawei won a judgment against Motorola.
- Recognized as an expert witness in telecom by a Maryland Circuit Court for Dynacorp v Aramtel, an Iraqi-US civil dispute (2009). Deposed.
- Patent consultant engaged by Baker Botts (2009).
- Recognized as an expert in telecom by a Maryland Circuit Court judge for submission of an expert report and testifying. Engaged by Greenberg Traurig (2009).
- Patent consultant engaged by Hahn Loeser Parks LLP (2007).
- Author of a declaration submitted to the FCC as part of the CTIA comments on a US Department of Justice petition for expedited rulemaking on packet data support under the CALEA legislation (2007).
- Patent consultant engaged by Perkins Coie (2006).
- Recognized as a "forensic expert in the field of wireless technology" by Ontario Superior Court (2003).
- Chair of TIA committee TR-45 (all CDMA standards)
- Member of the Board of Directors of IFAST
- Administrator for International Roaming MIN (IRM) network identifier codes to carriers on behalf of IFAST
- Administrator of SID (System Identification) code ranges to countries and carriers, on behalf of IFAST
- Chair of TIA subcommittee TR-45.8 (cellular core network standards)
- Vice-chair of 3GPP2 TSG-AC WG1 on smart cards and provisioning
- Consultant to CBRS Alliance regarding numbers and identifiers
- Member of the Calgary organizing committee for the Lakehead Univesity alumnus association
- Led the industry wireless 9-1-1 standard, J-STD-036, to latest publication through editing and group leadership
- Article on "VoLTE and the Future of 3G" for the Mobility Device Group
- Chairman of a 3GPP2 Steering Committee ad hoc that produced a report on numbering resources for M2M, SC.R4005.
- Consultant to major wireless corporations and trade associations.
- Chairman of several TIA and 3GPP2 standards committees, Joint Expert Meetings and working groups.
- Lead technical expert of a CDG initiative to encourage the completion of the MEID/EUIMID transition (from ES and UIMID).
- Familiar with every aspect of telecom and computer protocols from conception and design through standardization and implementation.
- A lead developer of the ANSI-41 mobility management standards.
- Co-developer of standards and guidelines for the management of several wireless numbering resources MIN (and IRM), ESN, IMSI, SID, MEID and EUIMID.
- Co-founder of IFAST in 1996.
- Major contributor to wireless network standards for number portability, fraud prevention, PSTN interconnection and network authentication protocols.
- Lead developer of network standards to support wireless Emergency Services (e.g. 9-1-1) and International Roaming.
- Several articles critical of IPv6, calling it a massive technological failure.
- A prolific writer of technical articles about wireless communications and standards for a general audience both for his own newsletters (1992-2004) and for wireless industry magazines (1994-2009).
- Author of a number of reports on industry issues for both proprietary and public audiences.
- Editor of a number of major wireless industry standards.
- Extensive database design and implementation experience using Oracle, SQL and FileMaker.
- Extensive expertise using Adobe applications FrameMaker and Acrobat.
- Developer of number management and customer invoicing database for IFAST (FileMaker).
- Peer-reviewed scientific papers published on multi-dimensional analysis of taxonomic data and on the performance analysis of computer software.
- Member of the organizing committee for the 2019 FEWA national expert witness conference
- Supporting CBRS with initial assignments of shared spectrum identifiers
- Consultant to GHB regarding IMEI
- Consultant to a Canadian municipality over a legal telecom issue
- Transfer MDG and CDG website content and software to the control of IFAST
- Consultant to CBRS Alliance on identifier issues
- Expert testifying witness engaged by K+L Gates/Voxson
- Testified in Federal Court in Sydney Australia for four days on a patent dispute involving GPS and cellphones.
- Designer of a management system for the North American MBI cellular identifier
- Started developing customer profiles for Rapidi, a company specializing in connecting disparate systems such as Salesforce and Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
- Editor of CBRS Alliance TR-0100, CBRS Alliance Identifier Guidelines
- Engaged as an expert by a major US government department
- Designer of a database and website to manage the US MBI identifier for cellular subscription identification.
- Testifying expert engaged by K+L Gates/Voxson.
- Chaired the joint TIA/ATIS standards process for republication of the E-911 emergency call network standard.
- Edited to publication the revised joint ATIS/TIA emergency services standard, J-STD-036-C-2
- Consultant, Cowlitz County Sheriffs Office
- Consultant, Susan van Achten, Toronto defense lawyer.
- Consulting expert, Jennifer Hue, Toronto defense lawyer.
- Consulting expert, Margaret Osadet, Toronto defense lawyer.
- Graduated from the University of Calgary with a BA in Italian, also include Spanish and Chinese (Mandarin) studies.
- Appointed vice-chair of TIA committee TR-45, responsible for all cdma2000 standards, and some microwave standards
- Consultant to Jennifer Thomas Law Office
- Appointed editor of J-STD-036 for development of Revision C addendum 2 (Enhanced 9-1-1 Phase 2)
- Engaged as Hatsoft consultant for database and system design projects using SalesForce, FileMaker and others.
- Article on the failure of IPv6 in the Info Telecom newsletter "Back to the Future Part IPv6"
- Appointed TIA representative to the OneM2M ApplicationID ad hoc group
- Appointed vice-chair of 3GPP2 TSG-AC WG 1 on smart cards and provisioning
- Presentation at MDG summit in San Jose
- Article on "Machine-to-Machine Communications and the Internet of Things" for the MDG magazine
- Article on 5G for InfoTelecom magazine
- Speaker at Telecom 2015 conference in Toronto on "Faith in Failed (Telecom) Fads"
- Industry Canada liaison for Kyocera
- Technical consulting for Sharetracker
- Consultant for Cahn Litigation
- Editor of TIA TSB-29-F/3GPP X.R0070 (International Implementation of Wireless Telecommunications Systems Compliant with TIA/EIA-41) through publication
- Technical consulting for Personics
- Technical consulting for Starscriber
- Patent consultant engaged by Baker Botts
- Article on VoLTE in the Info Telecom newsletter, The Future of Voice in 4G
- Article on "VoLTE and the Future of 3G" for the Mobility Device Group
- Edited technical content for the 3GPP2 Location Based Service specifications C.S0022 and C.R0022
- Completed publication of the updated CSIM specification, C.S0065-B v3.0
- Technical consultant to CDG in the areas of the MEID and EUIMID transition, M2M and numbering issues from 2008 to 2014.
- 3GPP2 editor for the R-UIM (C.S0023), CSIM (C.S0065) Smart Card, CCAT (CDMA Card Application Toolkit) and USSD Service Option (C.S0105) specifications.
- Appointed editor of TIA TSB-29/3GPP N.S0017 (International Implementation of Wireless Telecommunications Systems Compliant with TIA/EIA-41)
- Chair of TIA TR-45.5 Working Group 1 (publication of standards for cdma2000 smart cards, provisioning, voice coders and location-based services) from 2012 to 2014.
- Technical consultant to Qualcomm in the area of wireless standards and numbering resource management from 2002 to 2014.
- Edited all technical changes for 3GPP2 C.S0073 (MEID Conformance Testing) and CDMA Card Application Toolkit (CCAT; C.S0035).
- Organized successful 3GPP2 technology webinar
- Editor of revised USSD air interface standards for 3GPP2 C.S0105-A
- Editor of revised standard for MEID and EIR, X.S0008-A
- Speaker at CDG GHRC meeting in Beijing on Dual-IMSI devices and 3GPP2 standards
- Implemented live web-based queries for IFAST IRM and SID databases, and for several non-profit clients
- Appointed editor of 3GPP2 C.S0073 (MEID Conformance testing)
- Patent consulting, TAEUS
- Technical consulting for GHB Services
- Technical product design consulting, major network interoperability vendor
- Chairman of cdma2000 technology workshop in Guangzhou, China, sponsored by 3GPP2.
- Editing of CDMA Card Application Toolkit (CCAT) specification update to V&V (C.S0035-A v3.0)
- Editor of initial USSD air interface support for cdma2000 C.S0105
- Appointed chair of TIA TR-45.5 Working Group 1 (TIA standards for cdma2000 cards, provisioning and location services)
- Patent consultant engaged by Baker Botts
- Presentation for CDG Africa Forum in Lagos, Nigeria
- Appointed chair of the 3GPP2 ad hoc workshop committee to plan an industry workshop on CDMA2000 for 2012.
- Edited a major bug fix release (about 500 changes) for the R-UIM card specification C.S0023-D v2.0 through to publication.
- Interactive web-based database access project for non-profit client using AJAX techniqures.
- Received certificate of appreciation from ARIB, TTA, TTC, CCSA and TIA (3GPP2 Steering Committee): a key contributor, most notably as Chair of the SC M2M Numbering Ad-hoc Group and Chair of the workshop Planning Ad-Hoc Group. Your leadership is admirable and serves as a foundation to the continued success of the organization. In addition, your vision is invaluable
- Led 3GPP2 Steering Committee ad hoc on M2M Numbering through completion of report, 3GPP2 SC.R4005 and publication by TIA.
- Completion of a major CSIM bug fix release 3GPP2 C.S0065-B v2.0.
- Appointed editor of CDMA Card Application Tookit (CCAT) specification 3GPP2 C.S0035.
- Speaker at CDG DSC meeting on IPv6.
- Expert witness testifying in Chicago-based intellectual property dispute between major telecom manufacturers. Engaged by Covington Burling.
- Technical SMS consulting for Telsis
- Developed revisions to US IMSI guidelines to support Public Safety LTE networks and MVNOs.
- Discussions with CDMA2000 operators in China, Morocco, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines and elsewhere.
- Participated in revisions to MEID/SF_EUIMID, UIMID and ESN guidelines.
- Discussions with handset manufacturers in China and Canada regarding MEID and EUIMID issues.
- Survey of R-UIM card vendor preparedness for EUIMID.
- Editor of new point releases for 3GPP2 specifications C.S0023 (R-UIM cards) and C.S0065 (CSIM cards).
- Submitted C.S0065-B v2.0 for V&V and TIA ballot.
- Received Award of Merit from 3GPP2 TSG-C for activities in Working Group 1.
- Appointed chair of the 3GPP2 ad hoc on Machine-to-Machine numbering.
- Modifications to CDMA2000 Global Handset Requirements document to support MEID and EUIMID and presentation at a CDG meeting leading to acceptance.
- Lead technical consultant for the CDG on the MEID/EUIMID transition.
- Developer of an eLearning course on the MEID/EUIMID transition.
- Featured speaker at a numbering forum sponsored by the TIA in Mumbai.
- Representative of the CDG at joint meetings with the TIA and China Telecom, Samsung, Qualcomm, LG Electronics, KT Freetel, ZTE, Huawei and four Nigerian operators.
- Representative of the CDG in meetings with the TR-45 EUMAG, 3GPP2 TSG-S Numbering Working Group 1 and other numbering forums.
- Appointed editor of 3GPP2 C.S0023 (Removal UIM) and C.S0065 (CSIM).
- Consultant for CDG on OMH smart card standardization. Contributions to the project recognized by Qualcomm in November, 2009.
- Recognized as an expert in telecom by a Maryland Circuit Court judge for submission of an expert report and testifying. Engaged by Greenberg Traurig.
- Patent consultant engaged by Baker Botts
- Speaker on numbering and identification issues related to international roaming at a CDG IRT meeting in Vancouver, Canada.
- Speaker on a CDG (CDMA Development Group) webinar on MEID and EUIMID.
- Speaker on a Rural Cellular Association webinar on the MEID and EUIMID transition.
- Gave presentations on technical issues related to the MEID and EUIMID transition to two US-based telecom infrastructure manufacturers.
- Articles on Removable UIM cards and user interfaces for Wireless Telecom magazine.
- Author of a declaration submitted to the FCC as part of the CTIA comments on a US Department of Justice petition for expedited rulemaking on packet data support under the CALEA legislation.
- Patent consultant engaged by Hahn Loeser Parks LLP
- Consultant to Qualcomm/CDG on issues related to the implementation of MEID (replacement for ESN) and EUIMID (replacement for UIMID) including detailed presentations to a number of carriers in Asia. For more information on the package of information that David developed see cdg.org/meid.
- Co-author of a report on the use of wireless communications for utility data transmissions.
- Technical consultant for Luutronics
- Received Certificate of Appreciation from chair of 3GPP2 TSG-X
- Received Certificate of Appreciation from Matt Flanigan, President of TIA
- Completed a two year term as chair of TIA TR-45.2.
- Completed more than three years as chair of 3GPP2 TSG-X ERA working group (Evolution, Requirements and Architecture).
- Technical consultant for Cal Edwards
- Patent consultant engaged by Perkins Coie
- Completed editing of 3GPP2 documents X.S0006 (AKA) and X.S0008 (MEID) through to ballot and publication for both 3GPP2 and TIA.
- Resolution of a dispute between TIA subcommittees TR-45.2 and TR-45.6 over responsibility for US lawfully authorized electronic surveillance standards.
- Completion of. J-STD-036 Revision B (published in June 2005).
- Completion of an addendum to 3GPP2 X.S0008 to define the decimal representation for MEID.
- Drafted modifications to the IFAST SID assignment guidelines to allow national assignment by IFAST.
- Prepared a report on the use of wireless phones as part of the Emergency Alert Service for the Rural Cellular Association which was included as part of their submission to the FCC.
- Elected chair of TIA subcommittee TR-45.2 (effective September 2004) on the third ballot following two ties.
- Developer of a presentation on the MEID (Mobile Equipment ID) for the TIA TR-45 ad hoc group on Equipment Identification now published on the TIA Equipment ID website.
- Writer for Network Cabling magazine
- Completed editing of joint TIA/ATIS standard for GSM/ANSI-41 Interworking: J-STD-038 Revision B (CDMA support) which was published in October 2004.
- Completed editing of 3GPP2 X.P0008 standard for MEID.
- Editor of Cellular Networking Perspectives from 1992 through 2004 and Wireless Security Perspectives from 1999 through 2004.
- Approved as a forensic expert in the field of wireless technology for the Ontario (Canada) Superior Court.
- Editor of J-STD-036 Revision B to incorporate field experience with enhanced 911 and provide enhanced GSM emergency services capabilities (interim position).
- Editor of 3GPP2 X.P0008 on MEID (Mobile Equipment Identification).
- Development of standards for location services (LCS) for both commercial and emergency purposes.
- For Telcordia developed a SID management proposal for the FCC.
- Appointed chair of 3GPP2 TSG-X ERA working group (Evolution, Requirements and Architecture).
- Telecom training for Fair Isaac
- Invited speaker at the Second Symposium for CDMA Global Roaming in Seoul.
- Ulticom technical consulting on E911 and location services
- Acting chair of the TIA TR-45.2 ad hoc group on Emergency Services.
- Edited the wireless industry Enhanced 911 specification J-STD-036-A through to publication.
- Articles on Wireless Security, m-commerce, Short Message Service Interoperability and IP versus SS7 for Wireless Telecom magazine.
- Author of an internal report on international roaming for a major wireless equipment vendor.
- Elected chairman of TR-45.2/TSG Working Group I on Service Desciptions (Stage I) by acclamation.
- Engaged by Telos for technical telecom consulting
- Appointed vice-chairman of 3GPP2 TSG-N/TIA TR-45.2 Working Group I on service descriptions.
- Speaker at CITO (Communications and Information Technology Ontario) conference in Ottawa.
- Appointed to Advisory Board of Wmode.
- Content provider for the CDG website.
- Editor of ongoing enhancements (Addendum 2) to Emergency Services Phase II Network Standard (JSTD036).
- Appointed as International SID (System Identification) number administrator by IFAST.
- Invited speaker and panelist at IIR Wireless Internet Forum in Toronto.
- Invited speaker on International Roaming MINs at CTIA Wireless Partners conference.
- Xybridge E911 consulting
- Appointed Contributing Editor for Wireless Review magazine. Articles written on topics such as Wireless Markup Language (WML), Wireline Replacement, Emergency Services (911), Numbering, Authentication, Network Reliability and Security.
- Regular columnist for Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA) magazine Wireless Telecom. Articles published include Numbering Conservation, Calling Party Pays (CPP), Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) and Bluetooth.
- Managing IFAST International Roaming MIN (IRM) assignments.
- Consultant to other wireless equipment manufacturers.
- Writer and editor of Cellular Networking Perspectives.
- Publisher and editor of Wireless Security Perspectives.
- Editor of Emergency Services Phase II Network Standard (J-STD-036).
- Editor of the TR-45.2 3G enhanced authentication standard.
- Founded Wireless Security Perspectives
- Invited speaker Wireless Partners conference in Miami sponsored by Cibernet and the CTIA
- Invited speaker at the GTE conference Global RoamingResolving Technical and Business International Roaming Issues in Washington, DC.
- Scheduled speaker Institute for International Research (IIR) conference on Calling Party Pays/Local Number Portability in New Orleans.
- Appointed representative for AT&T Wireless on the TIA TR-45.2 standards subcommittee
- Author of feature article in Wireless Review magazine on the impact of advances in SS7 technology on wireless telecommunications systems.
- Monthly columnist in the bimonthly Wireless Review magazine (successor to Cellular Business) covering 3G Systems; Location Technology; International Roaming; Numbering Issues; WAP; Beyond SS7; Billing and more.
- Representative on TIA Standards Subcommittee TR-45.2
- Consultant for CTIA and author of several reports.
- Feature article on planned Australian AMPS closure in Cellular & Mobile International magazine
- Monthly columnist in the bimonthly Wireless Review magazine (successor to Cellular Business) with articles on Wireless radio advances; Authentication; Future of SS7; Electronic Surveillance (CALEA); IS-124 for call detail/billing records; Wireless Data; Calling Party Pays; Local Number Portability; International Roaming Problems; Wireless Intelligent Network (WIN); Opportunities with Gateway MSCs.
- Content provider for IFAST and CTIA web sites.
- Leadership of effort to complete the internationalization of the TIA/EIA-41 standard for intersystem operations (IS-807).
- Consultant to CTIA regarding the US IMSI Management Council
- Author of IFAST SID Assignment Guidelines.
- Guest columnist in Cellular Business PCS97 Show Dailies with an article on third generation wireless systems.
- Leadership of successful effort to publish Revision B of TSB-29 (as chair of TIA TR-45.2 WG VI) providing recommendations for international applications of IS-41 based systems.
- Leadership of effort to publish IS-751 (as chair of TIA TR-45.2 WG VI) providing support for IMSI (International Mobile Station Identity) in IS-41.
- Consultant to CTIA regarding the IMSI Management Council (now the IMSI Oversight Council) and Calling Party Pays (CPP).
- Completed the first MIN Assignment Guidelines. Now updated and used by the MBI Assignment Authority.
- Consultant to other wireless equipment manufacturers.